The history and architecture of this restored 1845 synagogue, open as a historic site by the Jewish Museum of Maryland, sums up some of the dramatic changes in American Judaism and in American taste before and after the Civil War. Built for the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation in Greek-temple design, it has served many congregations, not all Jewish.
Samuel Gruber
#Architecture